Simply Solo Spotlight: Atypically Attached
This week’s Simply Solo Spotlight is from Mandy who writes the Adventures at Walgreens blog. The past couple of months, Mandy took on the crazy endeavor of only shopping at Walgreens for everything she needed. I seriously don’t know how she did it – I couldn’t live without Macy’s and The Limited (never mind Cold Stone Creamery)! But, she had some pretty fun experiences, which you can check out on her blog. I hope you enjoy her story, and I know you guys will have some great advice to offer!
Quick shameless plug: Do you have a story to tell? Advice to offer? Did you just have literally the worst date of your life and you must write about it? I’d love to have you as the next Simply Solo Spotlight! Contact me at: email@example.com.
When I started reading Catherine’s blog, what struck me about it was how Catherine’s situation is the exact opposite of mine. She had never really been single before this year, and I am always single. I don’t mean that I’ve never been asked out or I’ve never been kissed or anything crazy like that. I’ve dated. I’ve had boy “situations” aplenty. I just never had a normal, long-term relationship with a guy who actually lived in the same town as me. When I did have boyfriends they either lived in another town, another state, or they had a job that kept them out of town more than half the time. So even when I was in a relationship, I still kinda felt single, and I still kinda lived like I was single. I would do my own thing 98% of the time and then make time for my boyfriend-type person for the other 2% of my life. But usually I just dated casually. I’d sometimes play kissy-face with guys I worked with. And sometimes I dated guys who always dated chicks for a few months before breaking up with them, and after a few months … SURPRISE! They’d break up with me. But those weren’t guys I ever referred to as “my boyfriend.”
So now I’m thirty-one and, for the first time in my life, I’m in an official, committed relationship that I intend to be in for a long, long time with a man I love who lives nearby and who is a relationship guy … and I have no idea how this all is supposed to work. I mean it’s great. We just hang out all the time, and there doesn’t have to be any occasion to do so. We spend the day together and do nothing in particular. We have discussed that we intend to be together for maybe ever and we’re totally on the same page about it. And I am totally out of my element. I freak out about little stuff for no reason other than I’m new at this and I don’t know how to act right. Like, I do that stupid girl thing, where if something’s bothering me, I don’t say anything about it until it becomes a really big deal in my head, and then I get super upset and all cry-face about it when I should have just said something earlier.
I’ve also never really introduced a boyfriend to my parents. In high school, boys picked me up at my house for a date, and my parents would be home, and they’d meet them if they hadn’t already. But that’s different. And none of them ever officially became a “boyfriend.” I introduced my family to a guy last Thanksgiving, but I already knew I was going to break up with him, so it really didn’t matter. I would’ve broken up with him earlier, but he’d already been invited to Thanksgiving, so I couldn’t. So I have no idea how to navigate this “meeting the family” situation. And I’m old enough that I should know. It’s totally weird that I don’t.
So, I guess my whole point in writing this blog is: Do y’all have any advice for me? I could really use some. I know most of the recent Spotlights have been giving advice, but I’m changing things up and requesting some instead. How do these long-term, committed relationship thingees work?