- Mother-daughter bonding time. Included a lot of laughing and making fun of my mom when she couldn’t stop sneezing. And then trying to scare her every time I saw a sneeze coming on, so she wouldn’t sneeze and get the god-awful feeling when you feel like a sneeze was stolen from you.
- Maybe got hit on by a 37 year old. Who also dated my friend many moons ago and has an 18 year old son at home. Props to him, he doesn’t look much over 30, but wow, I can’t believe he has an 18 year old at home. Sometimes I feel I have the dating maturity of an 18 year old so I should probably be dating his son. I say maybe got hit on, because by all appearances, he seemed to be hitting on me, but he never quite made the plunge. So I’m left with the, think he was hitting on me, but wow he played that well because I’m not quite sure – that way if I turn him down, he’ll be like “what do you mean I was hitting on you? We were just talking!” feeling.
- A family friend said he was going to hook me up with his friend who lives in Pennsylvania. Inspired by the fact that I really should only be dating unavailable men, I decided to text said friend and see if he wanted to chat sometime. He didn’t reply for more than a day. At least he did reply; I was feeling pretty bummed that a man that had never seen or spoken with me had rejected me. That would have been a new low. I’ve since told him to add me on Facebook. Which is akin to “call me” in this day and age. Now, he will just turn down my Facebook self. Can’t. Wait.
- Blackberry messaging with Chef. All the while wondering if he is reading the blog (and the comments), and specifically, what he thought about Friday’s post.
- Getting dating advice from a 17 year old. Talked at length with a 17 year old family friend about dating. Key takeaways: Never holler at a guy when he’s with his friends (he’s busy!) and don’t go to clubs, go to lounges to meet men. Now if only I could figure out what kinda lounge the 17 year old was thinking about, I’d be golden.
- A quick Gaston encounter.
Oh, stop right there. I haven’t told you about Gaston yet. Gaston is this very cute guy that works at the campground on Lake Gaston that my family goes to on weekends. Pretty much all summer, I’ve had sort of a “Dirty Dancing” crush on him. And I mean by that, I’m Baby, he’s Johnny and we have a passionate romance over three months. But it doesn’t end in anything – not a relationship or anything, just a really fun summer. And I learn how to mambo. Too bad he’s not a dance instructor. He just works the front gate of the campground. But maybe he can get me in without having to pay the $5 car fee, so that has to count for something.
Gaston looks like Gaston from Beauty and the Beast. Yes, this Gaston. A cute human version of him.
Hence, I call him Gaston. Both on the blog and in person. Because I’m obnoxious like that.
I had done a small share of flirting with Gaston this summer, when I invited my friend Annie to the lake with me one weekend. Annie was a new friend, and it was our first time hanging out for more than a couple of hours. One night at the dance, I started flirting with Gaston. He was working that night and I invited him to come out to our campfire to hang out. We texted throughout the night, and then he came by.
We were all hanging out: Gaston, Annie, Plumber, earlier Guy With An 18-Year Old and me. I don’t think I’ve mentioned Plumber before, but he was a guy I was sort of talking to earlier this summer but it fizzled out. At this point in time though, Plumber and I were still flirting and I was also trying to flirt with Gaston at the same time. Pretty challenging feat, especially since I was out of practice. So, I ended up focusing my energies on Plumber, while Gaston ended up hooking up with Annie.
I was somewhat annoyed, but also amused by the situation. Annie knew I liked Gaston. Yet, she still hooked up with him. But, we weren’t all that close yet anyway, so no big deal. But what bothered me more was this: I had done the work, and she was getting the commission. I did the upfront work to get him to hang out at our campfire, I had used my womanly charms in texting with him back and forth, and she reaped the rewards. But, I had Plumber, so it wasn’t a total loss at the time. And I’m fully aware that trying to flirt with two guys at the same time is probably just greedy anyway.
A few weeks later, Gaston texted me and said he had heard my theory about the work and the commission (Um, you think I kept that to myself? You thought that last paragraph was just internal dialogue? Oh no, I definitely told about anyone who would listen. Especially when I’d been drinking.). He apologized for the misunderstanding, and explained that he really wasn’t into Annie anymore. She was just too clingy for him.
Why was Gaston telling me this? I think he was telling me this because he thinks it’ll make me interested in him again. When in reality, once you hook up with my friend, we’re all set. Not going down that road now. Happy to be friends, but I’m not going to be someone’s second choice. So Gaston was out of the picture for me.
Okay, background over. Back to this past weekend. A quick Gaston encounter.
He was working at 10 p.m. I saw him across the crowded dance floor. He looked as cute in his uniform as ever, but I have written him off already. No Dirty Dancing romance for me. Baby’s still in the corner.
We talked briefly, and then I headed back to my camper for the night. I proceeded to get several text messages from him, asking me to meet him somewhere at midnight. I asked him what for? He eluded the question, what do you think? I kept pressing him and he wouldn’t say. He told me I could come if I liked, it was going to be a long night. I finally said “Goodnight, friend.” And then he said “OK then. Goodnight.”
Thing is, this guy is like the cool guy in high school. He’s like the cute guy at the bar who knows he can get anyone he wants. Women swoon in his wake. I don’t think my little rejection fazed him one bit, but it still felt good.
And that was date-free my weekend, in case you were wondering. What did ya’ll do? Oh, and do you think I should have given Gaston from Lake Gaston a shot?